Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

摩登原始人Anjou trip 遊記(3) Toilettes seches!

What on earth is 'dry toilet'? Well, if you are categorised at the 'right' generation, you might know, or even used it.... In english, it's called 'composting toilet', ie a toilet that does not need to be flushed. The principle is simple, the excretions were covered by woodchips (the urine goes to another bucket, so be careful gents!) and we dont remove them until it's full.

We have been using toilette seche the whole week during this trip. Curiously, it was not smelly (or we just got used to it?), except a hint of wood fragrance (if you allow me to use this word). Sorry I don't have a photo of it. As you know, camera is normally not in our toilette bags and by the end of our stay, the 'reservoir' was so full that I dont even want to take a picture of it. (but you can check one on the web, for example, here) You ask what I think? I like the idea of trying it, but a flushing toilet is nevertheless indispensable for my liking. Think of the water we have saved during this trip, I think I deserved to drink an extra cup of tea.

Now I want to talk about my another eco-contribution (so cliche) starting nearly a month ago. Here is pic of little Rosalie's diaper collections (evening would be biodegradable disposal ones). Sincerely, I don't find much more extra work changing to reusable ones and they are as efficient in terms of absorption as other commercial brands. We all love our children, then why we continue to destroy their precious planet and make their future living condition miserable.

猴三雷的布尿布 省錢又環保

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

Yay for the flushing toilet. Recycle the normal toilet water perhaps? I used cotton nappies for Cleo to start with but in those days we had real trouble with 'leaking' nappies.